One of our favorite meals to eat in Italy and make at home is spaghetti carbonara! My husband had to be coerced into trying this delightful dish the first time and now he loves it! In fact it is now one of our favorite pasta dishes.
* 4 ounce(s) slab bacon or pancetta, diced in 1/4-inch pieces
* 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
* 3 extra large eggs
* 1/4 teaspoon(s) kosher salt and black pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon(s) red pepper flakes
* 1 pound(s) dried spaghetti
* 1/2 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Cook bacon or pancetta in oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat until golden brown and most of the fat has been rendered, about 8 to 10 minutes, then remove skillet from heat.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes until combined.
4. Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions, until al dente (tender yet still firm to the bite). Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.
5. Add hot spaghetti to bacon mixture in skillet and toss well over medium-low heat until pasta is coated. Add egg mixture and a little of the cooking water; toss gently until spaghetti looks creamy. Add cheese and toss to combine. Serve immediately.